Want to start a blog? I can’t blame you.
Because of this blog, I can work from home, spend time with my family, and make an online income. I can work whenever and wherever I want. It’s pretty amazing. I love blogging and it’s been one of the best things that I’ve ever done. Starting a blog is super easy, you don’t need to know any fancy code stuff, AND it only takes 10 minutes or less!
Why should I make a blog?
You can make money with your blog and you’re good to go as long as you’re willing to put in the time and effort to sustain it. Don’t know where to start? There are tons of people that have been in your shoes. Look at where they’re at now:
- Debbie Gartner from The Flooring Girl – $10,000 – $12,000 in a month
- Divine from Ladies Make Money – $8,000-$10,000 in a month
- Caitlin at Real Mom Recs – $2,000 in one month
And there are people that make even more than them!
1. Figure out your niche
One thing that you need to think of is what you’re going to write about. This can be a challenge for some. There’s so many things to choose from that it’s hard to pick just one. But, why do I even need a niche?
When blogs focus on one topic, people remember it better. And this grows your following. This is why it’s a good idea to pick one topic and become a master at it. High quality posts about a topic = they’ll keep coming back!
2. Choose a blogging platform
For this tutorial, I’m going to be showing you how to set up your blog with Bluehost. Bluehost offers a free WordPress installation when you buy one of their pages. WordPress is:
- the most popular blogging platform
- used by millions, daily
- super customizable
- plug-ins & themes make it very versatile
You can get your domain and hosting for ONLY about $3 per month.
3. Pick a domain name
Your domain should be versatile. A lot of times bloggers start with the intention of talking about one thing and then they want to branch into other topics. Aim for a domain that is 15 letters or less, because this will make it easier for readers to remember it! Here are the things that good domains have in common:
- .com, if possible
- short, 15 characters or less
- easy to spell
- relate to your overall brand
4. How to start a blog with Bluehost
The first thing that you need is hosting. I’m going to teach you how to buy it with Bluehost. When you start, you’ll get a FREE domain and SSL certificate. SSL certificates protect your visitors and make you more likely to rank on search engines like Google.
- Click on THIS link. It’ll take you to the Bluehost homepage.
- Click “Get Started Now”.
- Pick your plan.
If you’re only planning on having one site, go with the basic plan. If you’re going to have more than one blog, consider the plus plan because you can get unlimited sites with this option. You can always upgrade/downgrade later. Once you’ve decided on a plan:
- Click “select”. You’ll now be redirected to the “sign up now” page. You’ll see two boxes.
- Click where it says “new domain”.
- Type your domain.
- Click “.com” or whatever your domain ends with.
- Click “next”. You’ll be redirected to the “create your account” page.
- Scroll down to “package information”.
- Pick how long you’d like to buy hosting for.
- Click on the box to the right of “Account Plan”. You can toggle between the options and see how the prices changes next to where it says “Hosting Price”. Purchasing it for a longer period of time is more cost-effective.
Under “Account Plan” and “Hosting Plan”, you’ll see that your Domain Registration and SSL are free. Under that, you’ll see a section that says “package extras”.
- Under “package extras”, you’ll see a few additional services. I would only consider domain privacy protection. It keeps your phone number, email address, and address private.
- Scroll down to where it says “payment information”.
- Enter your payment information.
- Check “I have read and agree…”.
- Click “submit”.
Now, Bluehost will email you your login information, along with an email that you will need to activate your new domain name. Once you’ve completed your purchase, choose a password for your Bluehost account.
5. How to install WordPress
Now, it’s time to install WordPress. First, you’ll need to navigate to your cPanel.
- Find “Mojo Marketplace”. It’s in the last row.
- Click “One-Click Install”.
- Look under “Blogs”. Click on the WordPress icon.
- Click “Start.”
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose which domain you’d like to install WordPress on.
- Next, find “Advanced Options”. Set up your WordPress username and password.
- Check the little box that says “I have read and agree…”
- Click “Install Now.”
Congratulations, you now have a WordPress site!
How do I install a theme?
Here’s how to pick a theme:
- Login with your Bluehost credentials.
- Hover over “Appearance” and click “Themes”.
- Click “Add New” and then you’ll be taken to a page with a bunch of themes.
WordPress offers a bunch of amazing free versions that you can choose from. There are paid ones as well, but the free ones will do just as well when you’re starting out. If you want to look at some more, here are the best free themes of 2018. You don’t have to worry too much about this for now, because you can always change your theme later.
What are some things that I should work on first?
- About page.
- Contact page.
- Optin plug-in. Convertkit is a good one.
- Blog posts.
What are some useful resources that I should look at?
- How to Improve Your Pinterest Game and Make Money
- 5 Stupidly Simple Reasons Your Blog Isn’t Growing
- How to Write Better Blog Posts In Half The Time
- 12 of the Best High-Paying Affiliate Programs for Bloggers
- 10 Effective Things to Do if You Want to Skyrocket Your Blog Sales
- How to Make Content that Your Readers Will Love
Love this pin? Save it for later so you don’t lose it!